Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Lights, Camera, Action!

I have always loved going to the movies. I love the anticipation. I love the previews. I love the smells. I love the feeling of getting lost, completely lost, for two hours (give or take).

My 30th birthday was an Oscar theme. All my friends and family dressed up as various characters from different movies and some were even interviewed for a personal E! True Hollywood Story for me. (Which reminds me that I really need to get that VHS converted to DVD one of these days.) At the party, I was awarded an honorary Oscar and we all had a memorable and exciting time.

The first year that Gary and I were dating, we went to a lot of movies. Some good, some bad. Some early in the morning, some late at night. It didn't matter. He shares the same love of the cinema that I do. One time we went to see all the Oscar contentions in one day. We broke for dinner, but otherwise sat through The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/NixonMilk and The Reader with nothing but popcorn and Diet Coke and Milkduds. Slumdog Millionaire won that year, but we had already seen it earlier so we were covered.

The first time I laughed after Allie died was when my sister-in-law Lauren and I went to see Bridesmaids. I remember laughing so hard that I was crying but it was the first time in months that I cried happy tears. We were both such a mess then - she was a new mom with a sweet baby at home who cried all the time and she was very much missing the niece that was supposed to be raised with her little one. I was grieving and sad but also hopeful that I would be pregnant again soon and that all our dreams would somehow still have a chance to come true.

One of those dreams came true yesterday.

Although our girls are now two years apart and not nine days apart, there is still so much joy that we share with them. Not like we originally planned, but I think one thing these past years has taught us all is that not everything works out as planned. 

Yesterday, we took our girls to the movies.

My niece had already seen Trolls. So had Lauren for that matter. But kindergarten was closed for the day and they both wanted to be there when Miranda first got to experience the movies.

It was amazing. Scared at first with her little hands over her ears, she quickly loosened up once the characters came to life. Munching on popcorn and beaming ear to ear, she was in heaven. And so was I.

I missed a lot of the movie because I was so focused on my daughter. She did not need me, but I wanted to be on high alert just in case. But with her cousin next to her and her aunt next to her cousin, plus me on the other side of her, she knew she was safe.

I am still smiling from the experience. 

We went out afterward and purchased little souvenirs to commemorate the day. They were not needed as I know it was a day that none of us will soon forget. However, it's always nice to have a little present...

Miranda now wants to know when we can go back to the movies. Soon. Very soon! Gary wants in on the fun, too. And I do not blame him one bit!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Quarantine Life

Social distancing  is a set of nonpharmaceutical  infection control  actions intended to stop or slow down the spread of a  contagious dise...