Saturday, March 21, 2020

Quarantine Life


Hard to believe when this year began, I had no idea what those two words put together meant.

I also thought I would never wait in line at the grocery store for more than five minutes without either huffing and puffing because my time was so valuable.

I never thought I would be googling "tips and tricks to help first graders learn remotely."

I never thought leggings would be my "uniform" each day.

I never thought my kid would live solely in pajamas.

I never thought I could go more than a few days without seeing my family, friends, or coworkers.

I never thought I would see playing outside as a gift.

I never thought I would have to cancel my daughter's birthday party.

I never thought about a lot of things.

It's been barely a week since we have been self-isolating, and my perception of the world has undoubtedly changed.

It's super hard to keep a kid entertained and work remotely and keep everyone calm at the same time. Which is why I am thrilled that Gary and I are in this together. Do not think for one moment that does not mean that he is happy with this situation. He gets the brunt of my anxiety. He just rolls with it, though. We have managed to find a routine that works for us, although if this lasts much longer (which come on, we all think it will), we may need to tweak it. I do breakfast. He does lunch. I do dinner. He runs bathtime. I do the housework. He braves the outside world for food. I do arts and crafts. He does the lessons. I do the bike rides. We all take outdoor walks.

Good news, folks! I like my family. Like really enjoy them. What a relief.

And what a disaster this would be if I did not.

I work for a domestic violence agency, and this is a TERRIBLE time for some of our clients, as you can imagine. We are doing the best we can to make sure help is still available for them.

This time in our lives is like no other. I hope we look back on it and think about what we learned and how much it shaped us.

All I know is that I have a little girl who may not get much of a birthday this year.  However, if that means she will have a hundred other birthdays, then we will do what we have to do.

I am sad and scared and find myself sinking deep into a dark place. I have had to turn off the news, put my phone down, and walk away from it all. Naps help. 

I am also cautiously optimistic that this will just be a blip in the story of my life.

All of our plans have gotten canceled or postponed. I am someone who thrives on plans and things to look forward to, so that is hard for me. But I am also someone who loves a lot of people who are older than me or are immunocompromised, and I will do what I have to do to make sure they are safe.

It's been a little over a week.

I will check in again when it's been longer to see if I have changed my tune. It's possible I will be singing a totally different song.

I thought it was important to get some of my thoughts down since I hope to never experience a time like this again.

It's ironic - as a mom who has buried a child, you think that THAT is the worst thing that can ever happen. Turns out, no one gets a pass in life. The bad things keep coming. It's how you cope with them that shows your true grit.


Family time

Make Your Own Scrunchies

Remote Learning

Outdoor Play

Paint Your Own Rocks

Us

Daily Bike Ride

Most patient cat ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quarantine Life

Social distancing  is a set of nonpharmaceutical  infection control  actions intended to stop or slow down the spread of a  contagious dise...