Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Prologue

I have always wanted to be a mom.  It was my deepest desire to be a mother. I pictured myself with a little girl (always a little girl) sitting on my lap, cooing and smiling.  I imagined a child that looked just like me with curly hair and eyes that changed from blue to hazel and back again. I was all about mommy & me groups, parenting circles and endless hours on the playground.  People would stop me to say they had never seen a more beautiful child and behind my back, they would whisper about the amazing mom that had it all. I could not wait.

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!  

The only exciting thing to me about motherhood was that when I was pregnant, I could eat whatever I wanted.  For 40 glorious weeks, I would not have to count calories or points or carbs. Sure, I would have to give up wine, but I could eat cake all day long! Pizza Hut buffet? Bring it. Ice cream by the tub? Why are you not already in my freezer? Chocolate by the pound?   Sure. Why not? I was creating life for crying out loud. That’s hard work! 

I do not like the heat so outdoor activities were not high on my list. Diapers are gross followed closely by snot. I like “me” time and “me” things and was not really prepared to not be first in my own life anymore. 

I enjoyed date night and sleeping in. I longed for vacations and dreamed of adventures that my husband and I would plan. 

I never gave much thought to what would happen once the baby was here. I knew my life would change, but I did not really know how. I just thought we would live happily ever after. My husband, our perfect baby and me. 

I did not have a plan for what actually happened. Looking back now, it would have been impossible to have one.
___________________________

So there you have it! My prologue! I have decided to make my story half-memoir / half-fiction. That way, I can be creative with my characters and have the freedom I need to write the way I want to write. I can use my life as a shell but also use my imagination. This will probably be the last time I use this space for my creative writing as I want to save it for just me until it is complete. Then I will need to get it edited, proofed and probably partially rewritten.

I am ordering some swag with #time2momup to start to get the word out. For a free water tumbler with my new logo, what would you name my main character? I am open to all suggestions! Leave it here, text me, Facebook me or call. All entries will be considered. Contest will end this Friday.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quarantine Life

Social distancing  is a set of nonpharmaceutical  infection control  actions intended to stop or slow down the spread of a  contagious dise...