Sunday, August 7, 2016

What Would I Give?

We are in the midst of potty training. It is not pleasant. It is not fun. The cute little girl panties are not even that cute to me anymore as I keep having to wash them over and over.

Everyone has an idea on how it should work. We are learning that the only ideas that really matter here are Miranda's. She will do it when she is ready.

We are close. Dare I say almost in the home stretch. It's rough, though.

This morning I started thinking about what I would rather be doing than potty training. I would rather have a mammogram. I would rather run in this humid and soupy weather. I would rather wear pantyhose. 

In a magical world, if I could give something up, what would I give up to make my daughter instantly potty trained?

I would give up eyebrow threading and go back to tweezers. I would give up mani's and pedi's and go back to doing it myself like when I was a poor college student. I would give up my favorite shoes.

Wait, what?? Are you kidding?

How can I compare my eyebrows with my daughter? How can I compare pretty toes with a child?

The truth is, one thing has nothing to do with the other. Raising a smart, independent, funny, (and hopefully) potty trained girl has nothing to do with how my eyebrows look. Giving up something that makes me feel good is not going to make her a better person in the long run. There has to be a happy middle ground. 

Luckily, there is. And I think we found it. Gary and I both take turns with the potty training and help each other out. We play good cop/bad cop. We balance each other out with discipline and punishments and rewards. We are doing our best to raise a good kid and I think we are doing a pretty good job.

Now if only we could get her to use that potty!!!! #time2momup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quarantine Life

Social distancing  is a set of nonpharmaceutical  infection control  actions intended to stop or slow down the spread of a  contagious dise...