Thursday, July 14, 2016

The Sound of Music

I have written before about the power of music. It should not be a surprise that I am writing about it again as music plays such an integral part in my life.

Earlier this week, Gary and I were catching up on The Americans. It is such a good show! It takes place in the early 80's and the research that goes into the show is extensive. From the cars they drive to the clothes they wear, it's all appropriate for that era. We often comment on how well the show is done. 

During one scene, I heard a song by Yaz. I loved that band. I listened to the tape over and over and over. Immediately I went from my living room to my bunk at camp. I could see my bed and my clothes and I could smell the wood and the grass and the trees. It was 1988 all over again. I was transported back in time with just a few musical notes.

This morning at the gym, I had a new instructor who played a lot of music from the late 90's and early 2000's. I was running on the treadmill and belting out the lyrics to Eminem and Papa Roach and Blink 182. I was young and single and hung over and ambitious...until I looked in the mirror and saw the real me looking back at me!

Last week at the beach, we took a break from the sun and sand to have lunch one day. The music was pumping and we were all in such good spirits. Then came on a song that my friend associated with the music that played during her son's 3D ultrasound. Tears sprang to her eyes even though I know she had heard that song many times since then.

Last month when I was at the wedding of my beautiful cousin, she and her new husband kissed under the chuppah, held hands and walked out of the room to "Here Comes The Sun". I was the only one crying there for me and not for them. Happy tears that Allie managed to send me a sign that she was with me that day, but sad tears, too, that she was not there. And she never would be.

I sing all the time. My voice is not that good. I was actually instructed to talk my solos in my high school musicals as they just could not get me to sound the way they wanted me to sound. Could I act? Heck yes. Could I sing? Well...

Miranda now sings all the time, too. She makes up her own lyrics just like I do. We sing about school and we sing about the pool. We sing about food and we sing about our mood. Our life is one big musical production and I think it's fun and carefree. I like that I have passed on my love for music without even intending to do it.

No matter what kind of music you like, find a way to incorporate it in your life. I think it's good for the soul. I know it's good for mine.


“The only truth is music.” - Jack Kerouac
"I have a song to sing, O" - Peter, Paul & Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment

Quarantine Life

Social distancing  is a set of nonpharmaceutical  infection control  actions intended to stop or slow down the spread of a  contagious dise...