Thursday, July 2, 2015

More Than Words

There are good words and there are bad words. 

Stillbirth is not a bad word. Yet people are afraid to talk about it.

Adoption is not a bad word. Yet people are afraid to ask too many questions.

Weight is not a bad word. Yet so many people I know that are overweight, feel badly about themselves.

I think, as a society, we have come very far. People (women, in particular) are giving a voice to the topics that plague us. I have two friends who are battling cancer right now and both are sharing their stories with gusto and passion. They will not be ignored until a cure is found and awareness is everywhere. I admire and respect them and would never think to pity them or feel anything other than pride.

One of the reasons I write is to find my voice. I also write to give a voice to the topics near and dear to me. Lately, a lot of my writing has been about my path to a healthier me. 

Earlier this week, I was invited to be the Content Editor for the company that has helped me find the true me. I will interview clients and blog about their stories and give them a voice. Weight loss is hard. Weight loss is personal. Often times, we associate our weight with our self-worth. My goal is to stop that thinking. As soon as possible. Let's spend our energy on feeling good! Let's take the negative energy and thoughts and spin them into positive ones.

The other day when I was out for a run, I was thinking about Allie. I was wondering if she would recognize me if she saw me today. I am not sure what made me think that as in my mind, she is still an infant and not a toddler or a little girl who would be able to recognize anyone. I almost stopped in my tracks when I realized that she only knew me from the inside and on the inside, I am exactly the same. That made me feel warm from the inside out. I kept running.

Adoptions from the Heart allows for photo submissions once a year for their annual calendar. Every year, we submit a picture and every year, Miranda gets chosen. We then buy that calendar for our families and give it out with pride. Adoption changed our life. Adoption changed our daughter's life. In our house, it's a very good word indeed.

I am not afraid to tell people about my weight loss journey. I have been very public about it and that has prompted many emails and texts and instant messages. I have talked to a former sorority sister via Facebook. I chatted with a cousin of my mom's (and mine) whom I have not seen in decades. I counseled a woman I work with on my freelance job. With each inquiry, I am reminded that I have a duty to share my struggles and that my struggles are helping others. That pretty much rocks.

Soon I will start to share the stories of others. I am flattered and honored and I hope I do right by them. I think I will. I am learning that as long as I do right by me, all else just falls into place. Good words, bad words, all all words in-between.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quarantine Life

Social distancing  is a set of nonpharmaceutical  infection control  actions intended to stop or slow down the spread of a  contagious dise...