Saturday, July 11, 2015

For Good

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun,
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood.
Who can say if I've been changed for the better
But because I knew you.
I have been changed for good.

I never saw the show Wicked, but last night, we saw Idina Menzel in concert and she sang that song a capella towards the end of the show. I had goosebumps.

I had chills when she sang two songs from Rent as that is one of my all time favorite shows. And when she sang, "Let it Go", my heart filled with joy thinking about Miranda and how much she loves to also belt out that song. When she performed, "Don't Rain on My Parade", I immediately thought of my dad and how much he would have enjoyed hearing her rendition. 

But for a song that I did not know to leave me wanting more? Well, I guess that is the power of music. A way to form a connection, to find meaning, to express what sometimes you do not even know needs to be expressed.

Allie changed me for good. Plain and simple. She taught me to be a better person. A kinder person. A more gentle person. 

Miranda has changed me for good, too. No question. She has taught me how to love unconditionally. She has taught me the power and strength of love and hope.

Gary bought us the tickets for last night's show back in December. We asked my mom back then to babysit and before we hung up the phone from when she said yes, we booked our overnight stay. We had 24 hours, give or take, to just be us again and it was terrific.

We shopped. We ate. We laughed. We walked the boardwalk. We people watched. We talked about our past and made guesses about our future. I got in a little beach time and got to dip my toes in the ocean, too.

We stayed up past 9. We slept in past 6. We did not have a diaper bag or a high chair or any boogie wipes. It was really nice.

At the end of our stay, we were ready to go home.  When we pulled up in our driveway, the most beautiful monarch butterfly was waiting for us. My mom said it had been fluttering around for a good 30 minutes or so. It was waiting for us. She was waiting for us. It was Allie. As far as I am concerned, we came home today to both our girls.

It felt so good. It felt so right. 

Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quarantine Life

Social distancing  is a set of nonpharmaceutical  infection control  actions intended to stop or slow down the spread of a  contagious dise...