Tuesday, December 2, 2014

In The Best Interest Of The Child

When we were pregnant with Allison, we never gave much thought to making sure that all we did and all we were was in her best interest. It just was. As her birth parents, it was a given.  I can honestly say that we never really thought about her in those terms.

When you adopt a child, there are a lot of elements that you need to think about and rightfully so. I have written about the classes and the meetings and the education that we had to get so that we were well informed and prepared. We talk about race and religion and drugs and alcohol and mental illness and physical wellness. As an adoptive parent, you need to be evaluated, as do all parties involved to make sure that you are fit to raise a child. This stuck me as odd when we went through the process as we had just come through a different process where obviously none of that was taken into consideration. However, we respected the rules and regulations and had no issues with following them. All we had to do was look at the bigger picture and know that we would do anything.

As a biological parents, you make a promise to do what is in the best interest of your child or children.

As an adoptive parent, you make the same promise but it is in writing.

Last night, I got to thinking.  Why do I have that power?  What gives me the right to decide what is best for Miranda?  I certainly do not know everything.  (Shhh...).  Who made me in control?

I did.  When I became her mother.  Until she is old enough to think for herself, she will have to settle for her dad and me.  For us to know what is best. What is right versus what is wrong. What is safe and healthy.

It is terrifying and scary and exhilarating all at once. I do not think we can afford to make mistakes and yet I feel mistakes are a great way to learn. 

Everything I do has Miranda's best interest at heart. I hope that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quarantine Life

Social distancing  is a set of nonpharmaceutical  infection control  actions intended to stop or slow down the spread of a  contagious dise...