Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha and Miranda

There have been Sex and the City reruns on virtually every channel lately.  They are edited for TV, but I have seen each episode so many times that I can fill in the blanks that the networks put in.

The show ran from 1998-2004.  The premise was, "Four beautiful female New Yorkers gossip about their sex-lives (or lack thereof) and find new ways to deal with being a woman in the 90's."

When I watch the repeats, many of the plots seems even crazier now than they did then.  The outfits and music and styles are all so very dated.  But the general current of the show still draws me in.

The friends that I have mean so much to me.  I do not have "four beautiful female New Yorkers". I have "countless gorgeous male and female supporters" that I could not live without. I am the kind of person who works hard to make friends and then holds on super tight once I have them. I have different friends from different parts of my life and they are all in my life for a reason. I feel so very fortunate.

In a twist even I did not see coming, I am now a writer.  Mostly business writing, except for this good ol' blog. It is an outlet for me just like Carrie's column was for her.

Carrie once asked, "... I got to thinking about days gone by. That carefree time when our schedules were as wide open as our hearts. The time before the baggage and breakups and babies began to weigh us all down. I couldn't help but wonder: Does that sense of adventure still flicker inside of us?"

When I watched that show, I was single, working in an office job 40 hours a week (at least), commuting into Center City Philadelphia and trying to find the "one".  I was not sure if he was out there, but I knew I had to look.  I was carefree and didn't know it.  I had silly outfits and bad hair and thought the smallest thing was the biggest deal.

Now I know better. Yet I still have a sense of adventure in me and looking around, I think most of my friends do, too.  Maybe even more so? We do not see each other as much and our times of gossip and shopping and drinking and laughing has gotten less and less. But we are still there for each other no matter what.  As adults, we have learned to appreciate and respect the journey.

10-15 years ago we were just starting to text.  There was no Facebook. I used email at work but I think with my dial up Internet connection, I really did not use it that much during my free time. In many ways, the technology of today is what allows us all to maintain the friendships we made of yesterday.  I love that.

My friends were by my side when Allie died and then back by my side when Miranda arrived.  They are there for the highs and the lows and all the spaces in between.

How lucky am I?   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quarantine Life

Social distancing  is a set of nonpharmaceutical  infection control  actions intended to stop or slow down the spread of a  contagious dise...