Monday, December 26, 2011

Looks like we made it

Tomorrow I go back to work.  Most of the people I know are still off, but I am out of vacation time and thus it's back to work I go.   I need to start to tie up the loose ends of my old job so I can start the new one in a few weeks.  Still, I would not mind a few more days off!

For the most part, my mini-Christmas break was very nice. We went to the movies.  We spent time with our families.  We gave and got some great gifts.  We laughed.

The holidays were not the way I thought they would be when I envisioned them last year.  Hell, they were not even the way I thought they would be six months ago.  But we survived.  And I like to think we are the stronger for it.

There were a few highlights to the long weekend. Seeing our nieces and nephews ranks up there as number 1.  No doubt about it.  I sometimes feel such a longing for Allie when I am with them as it hurts so much that they will never get to know their cousin.  But this weekend, for whatever reason, I was able to just enjoy them and love them and not wish for what is not here, but instead, appreciate what is.

Last night, we said a toast to Allie before we ate dinner.  Man that was nice.  Then as we opened presents, we were given this plaque from Gary's aunt.  I told you about it a while back in this post, but we did not have all the details then. How amazing is this gesture and the love behind it?
  
Last night I was also given the most beautiful heart necklace, inscribed with these words:  "My precious Daughter, I love you today, tomorrow and always".  Gary's dad and his wife got it for me and I could have just melted.  For some reason, my worst fear is that our daughter will be forgotten.  Well, guys...I get it.  Allie is here in our hearts today and every day.  Perhaps that is the best gift of all?

So here we are on December 26th.  Christmas is past.  The last night of Hanukkah is tomorrow.  2012 is right around the corner.  I am very happy to say goodbye to this year as it brought more pain and anguish and sadness than I would have ever thought possible.  But, it also brought us more love and strength and support than I ever thought possible, too.

Happy holidays to you all and may all our dreams come true in the coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quarantine Life

Social distancing  is a set of nonpharmaceutical  infection control  actions intended to stop or slow down the spread of a  contagious dise...