Thursday, November 19, 2015

When one door closes...

The day Gary got his start date for his new job, I found out I lost mine. I knew it was coming, and it's not completely lost. Instead of 24 hours a week, it's now "as needed". I love the company I have been freelancing for these past few years and am happy to do the work they still need. The problem is, that is not going to pay the bills.

So what now? Do I go back to work full time? Do we enroll Miranda in school full time? After some thought and consideration and conversation, we have decided no. Not now, anyway.

The thing is, I love my days home with my daughter. Three days a week, she learns and plays and experiences the world as a toddler in a structured program. Two days a week, she watches cartoons and runs errands and has play dates and experiences the world as a toddler with a mom who is home with her. No amount of money is worth changing that. She will not be a toddler forever and I will never get this time back with her.

So I am on the hunt for more work. Who wants to pay me to write? I had a Skype interview with a creative staffing agency. I am applying to all sorts of freelance writing and copy writing and editing jobs. I think I want to try to continue to make a go of this writing thing. I like it and I think I am good at it.

In the meantime, I am actually enjoying this bit of down time. The laundry is getting done in a timely manner. I am prepping dinner most nights. I have been to the grocery store three times this week. My house has been dusted and vacuumed. Not bad, huh?

It's not like me not to panic. It's not like me not to freak out. I think I am changing a bit in my age. I know the right thing will come along at the right time. While I am not a believer in "it was meant to happen this way" or "everything happens for a reason", I am a believer that things will work out the way they are supposed to and worrying and going nuts will only make us all stressed out for no reason. I have learned the hard way that time and persistence and hope will eventually get me to where I need to go.

When one door closes, another one opens. I, for one, can't wait to see what is behind the next door!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quarantine Life

Social distancing  is a set of nonpharmaceutical  infection control  actions intended to stop or slow down the spread of a  contagious dise...