Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Happy

I was chatting with a family friend yesterday during a very tense Words With Friends game (this is an inside joke for her as she almost always beats me...by a lot) and I asked her how she was doing. I mentioned that I had been following her Facebook posts and that she looked so happy.

She replied that she is very happy and that she could say the same thing about me. I replied that she was right!

I am many things.  I am emotional. I am sarcastic.  I am funny. But am I happy?

Holy cow. I think I am.  

Being happy does not mean that I am not sad at times...or that my grief is gone...or that my anxiety about all sorts of issues has vanished. It just means that overall, I am a happy person.

When did this happen? How did I not know?

I read an article recently about how social media makes people look like they are living lives that they are not. They show food they cooked and workouts they completed and give a false sense of greatness.  I do not find that to be the case. Maybe I deleted those people some time ago.  What I see on Facebook and Instagram (and Twitter when I remember to check it) are people that have crossed my path in some way or another doing the best they can and sharing their experiences.  And I love that.

For years and years, both of my younger brothers have encouraged me to "live in the moment".  I am the oldest sibling and I should be giving the advice! But damn if they were not onto something. Taking each day as it comes is easier than looking at a week or a month or even a year at a time. My goal is to do what I can today and tomorrow? Well I will deal with that then!

I do not have it all figured out. Far from in, it fact. But 3 weeks away from my 41st birthday, I think I have it more figured out that I have so far. And that makes me...well, happy.

I guess happiness can happen when you least expect it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Quarantine Life

Social distancing  is a set of nonpharmaceutical  infection control  actions intended to stop or slow down the spread of a  contagious dise...