Sunday, August 4, 2013

Mommy Market

Yesterday, I went to my first Mommy Market. It's a community based one-stop shop for moms (and dads!) to buy, sell or trade the stuff they want, need, or want to get out rid of!  They are held all over the area at different times throughout the year.  Yesterday, it was at a church but I have also seen them at fire halls and community centers.  I have always wanted to go but never had a reason.  Until now.

My mom and I went over shortly after it opened to check it out.  While Miranda wants for nothing, we figured it would be neat to see what kinds of things people were selling and maybe there would be a thing or two that we could pick up.  We wandered around and weaved in and out of the crowds trying to find the best deals.  Found some sleepers for $1.  Got a swing for my mom's house for $10.  Books were 2/$1.  We spent less than $20 and got some good deals!  We also helped some parents empty out the boxes that were probably in their basements so it was a win-win.

At one point, I stopped and looked up and snapped this quick picture.  I wanted to remember the feeling I had at that exact moment.  I was really and truly a mom.  In every sense of the word.  I totally belonged there.

Miranda had her 4 month check up on Friday and she is thriving.  The doctor kept saying "good job, mom" or "you are doing great, dad" but Miranda is the one who should get all the credit.  She lets us know what she needs and it's up to us to make sure she gets it.  Within reason, of course!  We are starting her on some rice and oatmeal and then in about a month, moving to fruits and veggies.  While I should be happy that she is growing and developing so well, part of me does not quite want to let go of the baby stage.  So we are going to feed her very slowly!

Miranda has been rewarding us with all sorts of coo's and smiles and recently, giggles.  With all the music I listen to, nothing compares to the sounds she makes.  Nothing.

I feel a bit guilty that I am as happy as I am.  I think, though, the best kind of happiness comes from the worse kind of sadness.  No, that's not right.  I mean I appreciate the happiness more knowing how extreme the opposite of it can be.

Today, a high school friend came over to meet our rainbow.  She brought her kids, who were instantly comfortable in our house and playing with Gary's superhero toys.  She also brought a play kitchen and some puzzles and bags of books for Miranda to play with as she grows older.  I realized then that as much as I liked the mommy market and the feeling I had while I was there, I was even happier with these toys and books that I will be able to share with Miranda and tell her about the family that they came from.  The mom that I have known since 6th grade.  We used to watch "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" and SpaceCamp during our sleepovers.  We talked about our crushes and shared our secrets.  I hope Miranda is lucky to have a life-long friend like that.  A friend that I had not seen in 2 years and yet we picked up exactly where we left off.

I am blessed to have several friends like that.  Ones that have a bag of clothes or a box of hand me downs every time I see them.  Miranda already has a snow suit.  And Crocs that change color in the sun.  And a Juicy Couture sweatsuit.  And each item comes with so much love that we can fill all the spaces around us.

And so I will end this fairly disjointed blog with a few pictures...it makes sense to me that I am all over the place these days so of course my writing is, too.  But at least I am writing.  And remembering.  And being thankful.  And loving.  And being loved.  All while being a mom.  That's pretty $%*&^ cool!!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Quarantine Life

Social distancing  is a set of nonpharmaceutical  infection control  actions intended to stop or slow down the spread of a  contagious dise...