Wednesday, November 5, 2014

My "thing"

When I was younger, I desperately wanted to find the thing or talent that was unique to me.  Both of my brothers were involved in sports.  Soccer and little league practices were a constant.  I did gymnastics and took tap and ballet lessons but both were when I was really young.  I played the flute and then the saxophone but never stuck with either.  I had a brief relationship with the piano, but we broke up after I learned the opening to, "Greatest Love of All" and was tired of playing, "I believe the children are our future" over and over and over.

By junior high and high school, I realized that theater was my thing.  I loved performing and transforming myself into someone else.  I loved rehearsals and practice and costumes and stage makeup. I loved the spotlight.

Decades later, I still love being the center of attention.  

So what is my thing now?  Well, it turns out I have several things.  I am the face of child loss.  I am the face of adoption.  I am the face of loss and I am the face of hope.

No one nominated me to be these things.  Life just happened and I felt it was my role to make sure that none of what happened was in vain.

Gary and I ran into someone last week who lost his nephew to SIDS.  I immediately asked if he would go to a support group and started to think of ways to help this virtual stranger.  If there is one thing I learned, it's that you do not have to suffer alone.

November is National Adoption Month.  I feel compelled to share Miranda's story of how we came to be her parents and how lucky we are that she is in our life.  She is the sunshine and light that makes each day bright.  I know how cliche that sounds.  I know!  But that doesn't make it any less true.

2 years ago this very month, we went to our first adoption meeting.  4 months later, we brought our daughter home.  I still can't believe she is ours sometimes.

I find it interesting that years of searching for my passion and in the end, it's my 2 daughters that supply me with what I was looking for all those years.  

Funny how life works out, huh?

Searching for her own "thing" by constantly running away from us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quarantine Life

Social distancing  is a set of nonpharmaceutical  infection control  actions intended to stop or slow down the spread of a  contagious dise...